Quotations are sometimes used to start an essay. They can also be used at the end of the body in the essay. These are an essential part of research papers as they add worth and integrity to essays. But you have to use quotes correctly if you don’t they can be more harmful than beneficial.
Following list gives all the tips on the use of quotes:
- Definition: Quote is the short form of quotation and it is used commonly but while writing an essay, always uses the proper word, “quotation”.
- Open/End: For any quotation the quotation mark in the beginning is called “open quote” whereas the second one is called “end quote”
- Punctuation: You should always put all punctuation marks such as the comma, period, question or exclamation mark before the end quotation mark. Consider the following sentence, "If the sentence finishes after the word 'here' is mentioned a second time, you should use the period here."
- Citations: Sometimes quotations are essential for citing certain documents. When you are going to quote a writer, a person, article or book, you must use quotation. There are two ways of writing a quote. You can either start the quote with an introduction such as John Doe, in The Daily News Times says that, "People like using quotation marks.” So you can also first write the quote and then put the internal documents at its end.
- Internal Documentation: When you use quotations with original sources in an essay then it’s essential that you mention them internally. When you write some quotation in an essay you replace the punctuation at the end with the closed quote mark, add citation enclosed in parenthesis and put a period to complete the sentence. For example the following sentence ends after the internal document. "I will not eat green eggs and ham" (Seuss, 5).
- Indented Quotes: You might sometimes need to use a quotation that is quite long in an essay but the quotation should no longer than four to five lines. If your quotation is longer than four or five lines then you have to increase the indent one inch on each side of the quotation and also italicize it if you want. In this case your quotation ends with the end quote and punctuation mark, and then you can put internal documentation.
Quotes can be used anywhere in an essay but there are rules that must be followed while using the quotations in your essay. They begin and end with quotation marks and you have to put all punctuation marks before your quotation ends. You can either put citations before the quotation or end it by putting internal documentation after it. If your quote is longer than five lines then it should be indented on each side. For more tips about how to use quotes in your essays visit study guide.